Daughters of The High Seas A love poem by Themba T Twala III



Daughters of the High Seas
A love poem by Themba T Twala III 
Oh, daughters of the High Seas,
your beauty is beyond beauty itself.
The sons of the soil tremble with guilt
when their eyes first meet your light.

Yes, they desire you,
yet they fear to face such beauty.
Your heirs shine like crystal in the sun,
your shoulders crowned by flowing hair.

Daughters born of man and sun,
they try to mimic you day and night—
weaves upon their heads,
colors upon their faces—
stealing beauty that was never theirs.
But they fail, again and again,
and shame follows them like a shadow.

Daughters of the High Seas,
even I begin to doubt myself.
Though I may marry one of you,
how would I guard such beauty?
How would I maintain what even the soul struggles to hold?

Look—your nose stands tall,
lifting your beauty higher still.
Daughters of the High Seas, I surrender.
Your beauty wounds my soul,
haunting my days and my nights,
for even thinking of you is a storm.

Post a Comment

0 Comments