An Open Letter to the People of Africa

To my fellow Africans across the continent,

I write this letter as a South African, but more importantly, as an African who believes in the unity, dignity, and brotherhood of our people.

I know that many of you carry anger, disappointment, and sadness because of the xenophobic violence that has taken place in South Africa over the years. These attacks have caused pain, destroyed lives, separated families, and damaged the spirit of African solidarity that our ancestors fought so hard to build.

The actions of those who attack fellow Africans have painted a dark image of South Africa in the eyes of many across the continent. Yet I ask that you remember one important truth: not every South African supports xenophobia. Not every South African believes in hatred, violence, or discrimination against people from other African nations.

My name is Themba T Twala III. As a writer and an African, I have always believed that our continent is stronger when its people stand together. I have never raised my hand against a fellow African. I have never celebrated xenophobic violence. I have never cursed or wished harm upon people from other African countries. Instead, I have spoken against these acts and wished for peace, understanding, and unity.

Unfortunately, the voices of reason are often drowned out by the noise of ignorance. Sometimes a few determined troublemakers can overpower those who seek peace. I am only one man, and despite my objections to xenophobia, my voice was never powerful enough to stop the violence that has stained our nation's reputation.

Today, I write not only for myself but also for the generations that will come after me. One day, my children, grandchildren, and descendants may travel across Africa. They may seek opportunities, friendships, education, business, or a new life in countries beyond South Africa's borders.

When that day comes, I humbly ask the people of Africa to judge them by their character and actions, not by the mistakes committed by others. Remember that their father and ancestor stood against hatred. Remember that he believed in African unity. Remember that he never supported violence against fellow Africans.

Themba T Twala III 

Post a Comment

0 Comments